Summer Internship Programme (SIP)
In short, this programme offers:
- An opportunity to develop a brand new image;
- Internship placements based on the major fields of studies;
- A possibility to have a trial run in the prospective field of future career;
- Getting to know the university, modern Lithuania and the Baltic Region;
- Cultural program and trips (optional);
- 6 ECTS credits and VMU certificates;
Unforgettable adventure, long lasting memories and friendships.More
Nuclear Tourism in Postsoviet Sites
This summer school will help to deepen the knowledge of post-soviet identity and nuclear tourism while observing and participating in interactive educational/cultural activities in Visaginas (also in Kaunas) carried out in collaboration with the local community combining learning with rich intercultural experience.More
Sustainability and Innovation in Rural Development
During the intensive innovation practice period the students will focus on theoretical lessons in classrooms, work group sessions and study visits outside university. Students will analyze these case studies – business, social, cultural and education, environment, local government institutions activities of different specific topics:
- in development of rural economy (diversification inside of farming (forestry, recreation, tourism, food processing), diversification outside of farming (new employment possibilities);
- in improvement of environment and landscape (positive externalities (contribution of agriculture), negative externalities (input of agriculture), physical infrastructure;
- in development of social capital and infrastructure (education, consultation, qualification, communication centres, knowledge, competence, integration to the labour market/network);
- in development of local organizations capacities and institutional surrounding (rules, policy, LAG, rural communities, local government);
- in development of cultural heritage and territorial identity, territorial image;
- in development of production, social and other technologies and their multifaceted impact on rural development.
Students will work in a group on chosen topic and will prepare a group-report which have to be presented in oral and printed copy for course lectures.More
Investigation of Biodiversity
The course introduces participants to field methods and data analysis and includes theoretical and practical instruction in both the field and the lab. Participants will gain knowledge in using the latest techniques in field methodologies and the most recent analytical and instrumental tools. The course is especially suited to those interested in biodiversity assessment, especially plant, avian and invertebrate biodiversity. During the entire course, participants will visit different natural environments in national parks, natural reserves and zoological museums of Lithuania.More
Summer School for Beginning Filmmakers
Students will also learn to apply the knowledge gained during the programme creatively, grasp the specifics of video production technology, and understand the usage of lighting and sounds in film. At the school, students will get to act, operate the camera, and direct, which will give an understanding of filming and editing video material. Also, everyone will be involved in analyzing movies, non-fiction ethics and study the dialogue, interview techniques. Students will learn how to separate fact from truth. Last but not least, they will learn how to write a script.More
Methods in Molecular Genetics
This course is a comprehensive overview of key techniques in molecular biology mostly related to DNA analysis. The course covers the techniques of DNA/RNA extraction, gel electrophoresis, PCR and restriction digestion; data analysis using computer software. Upon completion of this course, the trainee would be able to extract genomic DNA/RNA from animal cells, perform agarose gel electrophoresis to analyse the DNA profile; amplify specific fragments of DNA using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique; perform restriction digestion experiments and visualise data obtained. School consists of lectures, practical exercises in laboratories, data analysis and case studies seminars.More
Lithuanian Language and Culture Summer Course 2020
Lithuania is a Baltic country, boasting an equally fascinating and inspiring history, speaking in one of the oldest and most complicated languages in the world (7 cases!), inhabited by friendly, talented people and surrounded by wonderful green nature, lakes, rivers that are simply breath-taking!
This summer course is precisely about that – discovering Lithuania in full: studying the language, exploring wonderful nature and interesting cities, learning about the history, its twists and turns, how we dealt with our Soviet past, “return” to Europe and position in today’s world as well as the challenges that might wait ahead. There is so much to tell. And most importantly, Kaunas plays an important role in the history of Lithuania and you will get to hear it all once you come here!
Lithuanian language and culture summer course is a wonderful opportunity for those who want to (re)discover Lithuania: it is equally interesting for those who have some Lithuanian roots and for those who simply want to enjoy their summer learning about a unique culture and language in a multicultural environment, as you will be studying with people from many different countries!
Language lectures aside, we will touch social, economic, political, cultural and historical aspects of Lithuania and the Baltic Region, enjoy various trips and deal with different tasks as well as the final project from your selected field of interest.
Students who are not complete beginners will take a placement test on the first day of the course to determine their level of the Lithuanian language.More