Practical DNA analysis
2 weeks (80 hours)
This course is a comprehensive overview of key techniques in molecular biology mostly related to DNA analysis. The course covers the techniques of DNA extraction, gel electrophoresis, PCR and restriction digestion. Upon completion of this course, the trainee would be able to extract genomic DNA from animal cells, perform agarose gel electrophoresis to analyse the DNA profile; amplify specific fragments of DNA using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique; perform restriction digestion experiments and visualise data obtained. School consists of lectures, practical exercises in laboratories and seminars of case studies.
Basic knowledge of genetics.
To cover the underlying principles and critical aspects of DNA analysis methodology and interpretation.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of DNA analysis with significant hands-on experience;
- Work and properly interpret DNA analysis results.
- Knowledge of basic genetics;
- DNA extraction;
- Gel electrophoresis;
- Polymerase chain reaction;
- Restriction digestion;
- Data visualisation and interpretation.